Tuesday, March 23, 2010

last minute dinner parties & vegan chocolate mousse

I invited a friend and she invited a friend and then he invited a friend.. and before I knew it there were 6 people coming! This is a big deal in my tiny attic apartment. We had such a healthy meal - totally put together at the last minute. (besides the vegan mousse.. mmmmm. which I will get to at the end). We roasted a couple spaghetti squash. One probably would've been enough, but I'm enjoying the leftovers. I made some couscous (for my guests.. just in case there wasn't enough food)! There was sauteed zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper with lemon pepper and salt, and another pan full of sauteed mushrooms, kale, and garlic. We also baked some ocean perch in olive oil and lemon juice.. Besides the couscous - it was a hunt + gather dinner party :) Which is getting to be easier and easier as I become more comfortable with the ingredients.
Now for dessert.. the only part I made in advance. This recipe is a take on the Spunky Coconut's pudding.

The Spunky Coconut says, "A word about this pudding: It is so healthy. I made this video about the ingredients in this pudding, which are full of essential fatty acids, omega 3 & 6, plus protein, iron, zinc, magnesium, and antioxidants. Raw-inspired & vegan to boot :-)"

Allergic Hedonist style:

1 can organic coconut milk (not "light")
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp hemp seeds
3 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 a banana (or a full one.. I only had 1/2 a banana left)
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

Puree.
Refrigerate about 8 hours (or more). The last two hours I moved it to the freezer.
Then puree it again.. (I added vegan chocolate chips to this part.. for a little extra chocolate and sweetness)

I need to make this again so I can take a nicer photo... or so I can eat it again :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment