Monday, March 1, 2010

italian style venison stew

I was lucky enough to receive some venison as a gift from Chuck, who went out hunting for his first time. We got to talking about how I wanted to go hunting for my first time this past fall too, and even sat through 12 hours of hunters ed! That's when he decided I was worthy of a few packages of meat from his first deer. Chuck, if you read this - thank you so much!
Here's my version of a recipe I found on huntingsociety.org.
This is delicious. That's all I have to say. That, and it was insanely easy, and there are so many variations of what you can do to it without possibly going wrong. Try it!

2 lbs. stew meat, cubed
3 cups water
6 carrots, sliced in 1/2" chuncks
1 cup chopped celery
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp honey
1 cup red wine
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Brown cubed meat in oil.
2. Add water, then the rest of the ingredients (but not the carrots). Bring to a boil, skim, then lower to a simmer for 2 hours. 45 minutes before it's done, add the carrots.
3. Remove the bay leaves - and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment