Tuesday, April 6, 2010

soaked millet

School's almost out, and I'm crazy busy trying to finish everything before I graduate, so I'll be making versatile dishes that can last me the whole week.. for the next 5 or 6 weeks. This week: Millet! This super healthy grain-like seed is full of nutrients and is easy to digest.. Especially when pre-soaked. Here's what to do:

Serves 5-6
Prep by adding 1 cup millet to a jar with enough water to fully cover it. Let it soak for at least 8 (and up to 24) hours. Then rinse!

Add to a pot with 2 - 2 1/2 cups of water and anything else you have/like. I added a chopped up stalk of celery, carrot, green onion, garlic, red bell pepper, salt, parsley, and cumin. Oh - and a little curry powder too. Let it simmer and you'll know when the millet is finished because the dark yellow color will become opaque.

That's it :) I had it for lunch day 1 with steamed broccoli on a bed of spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment