Wednesday, October 14, 2009

got fiber? a different kind of cupcake.

Oops! this blog looks just like the last - but - it's different. This cupcake is made out of ... drum roll.. .. .. beans! I made a huge batch of beans a while ago, and they were hanging out in the fridge, then I remembered a cupcake recipe from the Healthy Indulgences blog that called for beans (I changed it, of course).

Here we go. Oven! 350. Makes about 14 mini cupcakes.. I make cupcakes in VERY small batches. Just in case I don't get around to bringing them to my friends.. sorry guys! There are 7 left of this batch if you read this, NOW. Oh dear, that means I already ate 7. ug. But - it's OK! because they're made out of beans!

Take 2. Oven! 350.
1/2 cup cooked beans (I had black.. but I doubt it matters)
2 "eggs" - use eggs if your body wants you to, but I used: 3 tsp of egg replacer mixed with 1/4 cup of warm water, as well as 1 tsp of ground flax seed. But the flax seed was probably unnecessary.
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup brown rice syrup (use honey if you want it sweeter)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp packed coconut flour
1 heaping tbsp cocoa powder (it's all I had left in my house - don't be afraid to add more!)
1 pinch salt
1 pinch baking soda
1/4 heaping tsp baking powder

In your food processor, blend beans with the "eggs," vanilla and almond extract, brown rice syrup, and salt.
Then mix in the melted coconut oil
Add the coconut flour, baking soda, and baking powder..

Fill the mini cupcake molds with batter about 3/4 full. I don't recommend cupcake liners. I just got some because I was curious - but they are so unnecessary! (and these guys didn't stick to my un-greased pan one bit.) Rap the muffin pan to pop small air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes, or until springy to the touch. The healthy indulgence girl then said to let them sit for 24 HOURS! (this is supposed to get rid of the bean flavor that is left.) I just smeared strawberry frosting on them and no bean flavor came through. Maybe it's because I used beans that I made from scratch and she might have used them from a can? Who knows. Be my guest and wait 24 hours before you eat these.. but, like I said. I already ate 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment