Tuesday, October 20, 2009

basic mung bean soup

It was months ago at the health food market when I decided to buy these mung beans even though I had never seen them before. There was a little note card describing them and all I had to read was the phrase "easily digestible." I was sold.
So finally I did something with them. Around here, they are frequently used for sprouts - but I found all these traditional recipes for soup online and gave one a whirl.

The night before, I put 1 cup of mung beans in a large jar and filled it up with filtered water, and I let it sit for at least 12 hours before I started the soup. This made the whole process go a lot faster, as well as making them even more digestible.

Ingredients:

1 cup mung beans (soaked the rinsed)

5 cups of water

1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seed
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 tsp salt
fresh cilantro for garnish


1. Pour the pre-soaked and rinsed beans, water and turmeric in a large pot and cook until the beans are tender. (I didn't keep track of the time, but it was about 30 minutes? Sorry..)

2. Add the salt then blend to a smooth consistency.

3. Heat the ghee and coconut oil until clear, add the cumin and stir briefly to release the aroma and flavor. Then remove from heat.

4. Pour the ghee mixture over the soup. Stir.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment