Thursday, July 1, 2010

venison jerky

If taking the 12 hour course, passing the test, and getting my hunter's license didn't confirm that I have truly made the move in both body and mind from Los Angeles to Columbia, Missouri - making deer jerky did.

If you're lucky enough to obtain some venison from a friend's, or your own hunting trip, then I recommend turning some of it into jerky. You can use an oven, but I have a dehydrator - so I'm spoiled.

There are endless variations of jerky recipes online - so have fun doing your own research. Because this was my first time making it, I went with simple ingredients. Here's what I ended up with:

1-2 lbs of venison steaks, cut into strips about 1/4"-1/2" thick
1 tbsp worchestire sauce (yes.. there is some soy sauce as well as a little sugar in here :( I'll make my own next time)
1/3 cup coconut aminos (basically a non-soy soy-tasting-sauce made from the sap of the coconut tree - and it's really yummy. Go to your local health food store and buy it!)
1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or a bunch of minced garlic)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Mix up the marinade, then soak the steak strips and leave them in the fridge for around 12 hours. (I had mine in a bowl, and really pushed the meat down, so they were covered in the marinade, then I put ziploc bags full of water on top, to make sure no air would get to it - not sure if this part is necessary.. but I'm just telling you what I did.)

When you take the meat out of the fridge dry the strips (Yes, I used paper towels for this part - but at least they are made from 100% recycled paper.. anyway). The place them in your dehydrator - and make sure there's plenty of space between the strips. I think I left mine for about 12 hours.. I like my jerky a little chewy - but do what you like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment