Saturday, February 6, 2010

hearty mushroom broth soup

This broth is really special.. & thanks to the mushroom sale, I decided it was time to make this recipe. (It's from Deborah Madison's Vegetable Soups - again! - p.34)

I changed it - a bit, because of the ingredients I had.. so I'm going to write what I did. And it was seriously amazing.

6 cups water
5 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 celery ribs, diced
1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
3/4 lbs fresh mushrooms (and/or mushroom trimmings, broken stems, caps.. etc)
4 garlic cloves, smashed
aromatics: 1 tsp thyme (dried - unless it's not winter), 1 bay leaf, 2 inch rosemary sprig, oregano (I just added it because I have a plant that's actually stayed alive in my kitchen)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp flour (I used brown rice flour)
2 cups dry red wine (I used a dry white sherry)
1 heaping tbsp dark miso (I used brown rice miso)

1. Heat oil in a big soup pot. Add the veggies, garlic, and aromatics. Cook over medium-high heat stirring occasionally until vegetables are well browned (15-20 min). Season with 1 tsp salt and a little pepper.
2. Stir in tomato paste, flour, and wine. Raise heat and boil for 2 minutes, vigorously scraping the bottom of the pot to work in the juices. Then add the 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered for 45 mintues.
3. Strain. You should have 1 quart. At this point, you can use it, refrigerate it for up to 1 week, or freeze it.
4. Just before using, mix the miso with a little hot broth, return it to the pan, then heat to nearly boiling (never boil miso).


My guest and I enjoyed this broth with some steamed greens and broccoli. Now you can get creative or just use what you have to make this broth a delicious soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment