Sunday, February 7, 2010

blackberry buckwheat pancakes!!!

I MISSED PANCAKES SO MUCH! and I tried and tried to make a gluten-free, egg free, dairy free pancake.. One thing I finally did, was buy a non-stick pan, because the whole egg-less pancake just wasn't going to work without it. I'm using a plastic spatula on it, so not to scratch the non-stick surface.. so I had to pick my battles with the pancake. I actually compromised a little more than usual in the making of these cakes.. because I used Ener-G egg replacer and grapeseed oil too. But, to most people on the planet - those are perfectly healthy alternatives.

Got this recipe from Susan O'Brian's Gluten-Free Vegan, yet again.
Here's my version. Serves 4.

1 tbsp ener-G egg replacer whisked together with 4 tbsp warm water
1 1/2 cup almond milk (or any other milk)
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 tbsp honey (she used maple syrup)
1/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp aluminum-free, gf baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup blackberries (chopped, smaller.. she usues blueberries - but I found some blackberries in my freezer! It was like finding a $20 you left in a pair of jeans you never wear..)

1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg replacer and water well, until it bubbles. Then add the milk, oil, and sweetener (honey in my case, agave or maple syrup in a vegan's case). Mix well. Then add the applesauce and stir.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon. Then add the dry mix to the wet bowl. Then sitr in the fruit.
3. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Pour a small amount of oil (barely any is needed with a non-stick pan). When the skillet is hot, pour a ladel full.. I'm sure you all know how to make pancakes from here on out - but just incase.. Cook until all the little bubbles are done popping on the top, then flip!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment