Sunday, November 1, 2009

my "bread & butter" paleo style

So.. I don't know why I didn't stop to think about all the foods that fell under the category "nuts & seeds" when I went on the Hunt + Gather diet.. because Amaranth, Buckwheat, Tapioca, and Quinoa ALL fit. Ha! I was so excited when I found out that I made some bread.. even though it was already 11 on a school night, and I wasn't hungry one bit. I guess my mind was.

Here's my paleo style bread.. adapted from Elana's recipe

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 9 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Oven! 300. Mix the flax seed and water and let sit until thick. Combine the flours, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Mix honey and apple cider vinegar into the flax seeds and then mix this into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix mix mix.. I made sure it was all blended together with my hands.. and then put the dough into a well greased loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.

The "butter" is not butter at all... Actually someone on a Hunt + Gather diet can eat healthy butter.. but I am staying away from all dairy products. So, this spread is simply pureed roasted cauliflower.

Toss cauliflower with olive oil salt and pepper, then roast, covered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Then puree.. I added a little more olive oil at this point to make it smoother - and wa-la!

No comments:

Post a Comment