Monday, November 30, 2009

lemon poppy seed macaroons

(Makes 12 mini cupcakes.. )

These mini coconut delights originated from the Healthy Indulgences blog.. She used some things I left out, and I added the poppy seeds, lemon zest, and applesauce. They are perfectly sweet.. with barely any sweetener, and without a topping :) I thought I was just making cupcakes when I started.. but when I tasted them I thought - Macaroons!!! Since I found out I was severely allergic to eggs (especially the whites) I got sad every time I saw the macaroons at the store - because the ingredient list is so simple! (coconut, egg whites, honey) Now - I have something to satisfy my macaroon craving - that keeps my body happy. I hope this recipe makes you happy too..

Oven! 325.

1 tbsp coconut oil - melted
2 tbsp hazelnut meal (or almond flour) packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ground to a meal (use a coffee grinder)
½ tbsp sifted coconut flour (I halved a recipe.. sorry)
2 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp honey (vegans, you know what to do)
Pinch sea salt
6 tbsp applesauce
1 tsp gf aluminum-free baking powder (a little less wouldn't hurt.. )
1 tsp poppy seeds
¼ tsp lemon zest (zest 1 small lemon)

Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another, and then mix them together.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
Let ‘um cool, and then place in fridge for at least 1 hour to let them set up. If you skip this step, they’ll pretty much fall apart in your hands because they’re so soft. (Still edible however.. I should know)

No comments:

Post a Comment