Sunday, August 30, 2009

dangerous salsa

This salsa is dangerous, simply because you'll be eating it with chips. And you probably won't be able to stop.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes and Tomatillos - as many as you can get/need to use up because you have too many tomatoes. Make sure you wash the tomatillos well.
Hot Peppers - I used 3 different kinds, 1 habanero, 1 jalapano, and 1 unknown
Garlic - 2 cloves or more
Yellow onion - diced
Cilantro
Sea salt

Preheat the oven to broil. Broil all the tomatoes and tomaillos for about 4 or 5 minutes on each side. Remove from oven and let cool.
Remove seeds from the peppers (WEAR GLOVES!! or risk getting hot pepper oil under your fingernails and being in pain for an entire day).
Dry roast the peppers and the garlic in a pan.. for 5 minutes? (I made this a few days ago, and now can't remember exactly how long I let things go.. I think I took things off the stove when the tomatoes in the oven caused my smoke alarms to go off.)
Then dry roast the diced onion until they get a little translucent.

Place all ingredients in a food processor, and go! Add salt to taste.. This depends on the amount that you make. I made a quart of salsa and used about 1 tsp of salt. Let it sit for a bit before eating it - to let the flavors do their thing. Then refrigerate. It's even better after it's been in the fridge for a while. Serve on anything.

2 comments: