I got this recipe from a library book.. Students Go Vegan, but I changed it. Here's my take.
3 beets, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 1/2 cups red lentils
3 cups water
1 1/4 tsp salt
fresh cilantro (garnish)
1. Soak the lentils in water with a couple tbsp of apple cider vinegar for 7 hours. Then rinse and set aside.
2. Peel and chop beets and boil in water until soft-ish.. about 20 minutes.
3. Saute onions in oil until soft and translucent, then add the carrots and saute for another minute.
4. Add the lentils, water, salt, and beets (drained) and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Serves 5, garnish with fresh cilantro.