Thursday, September 3, 2009

'round the midnight hour: edible finger puppets

Ok, this picture may be beautiful, and make your mouth water - but c'mon. How many bloggers take pictures of their cupcakes? Well... you're right... these should hold an extra special place in your heart because they are egg and dairy and gluten AND sugar free, but still.. the cupcake picture is getting old.

Introducing!! the edible finger puppet.Or, the upside down mini cupcake.. Has this been done already? Or should I write a book? If you write a book before I do, you owe me something. For some reason - I have cravings to bake cupcakes around midnight. I'm going to see the doctor about it today - so don't worry about me. He'll probably just tell me to get to bed before midnight. Which is something I should be doing already.. but I would be going to bed before midnight - if I didn't have these cravings that take about an hour to satisfy..

Ok, enough story - here's the recipe.. which came from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
and elena's pantry.
(hint.. make the frosting first)

Vegan Vanilla Agave Cupcakes
First off - I halved the recipe.. because I'm a mini cupcake person. And 1/2 of a 12 cupcake recipe is perfect for 24 mini ones. But this recipe.. that you're about to read, is NOT halved.

Oven! 325.
2/3 cup soy milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2/3 light agave nectar (I used a combo of brown rice syrup and buckwheat honey.. the buckwheat honey is.. interesting. I would recommend getting something else.)
1/3 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used a gluten-free all-purpose flour.. which is a mixture of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flou, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl; allow to sit for a few minutes to curdle. Beat in agave nectar, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt… and mix until smooth. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full, and bake 20-22 minutes (12 minutes for mini cupcakes!!), until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

Take them out, let them cool and here's the frosting.. (I only made 1/3 of this recipe and still have left overs.. fyi)

1 cup coconut milk
1 cup agave nectar (I used that strange buckwheat honey, which is why mine turned out so dark)
pinch sea salt
5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon water
1¼ cup coconut oil


In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
.
In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste.

Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan.

Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender and bring to a boil, briefly
.
Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil.

Place pot in freezer for 30 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
.
Remove from freezer and blend again, until fluffy.

Spread over cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. ha! loving that second photo. at first i was confused as to how they were puppets and then a little scroll and wah la!

    ReplyDelete